Driving south from Green River Lakes, our exit trailhead, to Sweetwater Gap trailhead at the southern end on the range, you crest a hill just outside Pinedale, Wyoming. From the top of the hill, stretches a hundred mile vista of the Wind River mountain range: 3000 square miles of granite rock walls, alpine lakes, rivers, snowfields and glaciers. The adventure begins.
- On Being Flexible: Buck Mountain SoloFeatured photo: Buck Mountain in winter. Credit Jinrui Qu I step out of the pine forest into the meadow, touched by the first light of a new day. After three days of heavy rain, the air smells cool and clean. On a ridge marking the […]
- Gary’s Big Day: Training for AdventurePhoto: Gary on the summit of the Grand Teton 13,775 feet, Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming. Photo credit: Gary Christensen collection. Sweat rolls down our foreheads and into our eyes. The steep, rocky trail offers no relief from the mid-day sun; not a breath of […]
- A Body at Rest: The Science behind a Good Night’s SleepPhoto: Pingora, Wind River Range, Wyoming. The 1200 foot Northeast Face route, one of the Fifty Classic Climbs of North America, ascends the middle of the face. Awaking from a fitful sleep, I check the time, 1:30 am. Wake up alarm coming in 90 minutes. […]
- Listening to Your Inner Voice: A Backcountry SoloThe ski track ended at tree line, the top of a three thousand vertical foot backcountry ski run called Mavericks at ten thousand feet elevation on the east flank of Buck Mountain, in Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming. I started breaking my own trail, but […]
- Best FriendsJanuary 1978, Bob McCord was breaking trail and I reluctantly followed. We aimed for a low angle ramp between steeper slopes topped with five foot cornices: wind-blown snow at the tops of ridges curled like Dairy Queen Cones. The slope steepened. We made a switchback […]
- Gone With The WindsFeatured Photo: The Fortress from Alpine Lakes, Wind River Range, Wyoming Photo: War Bonnet and Warrior, Cirque of the Towers. Driving south from Green River Lakes, our exit trailhead, to Sweetwater Gap trailhead at the southern end on the range, you crest a hill just […]
Resources that enlighten
mind, body, soul.
Ready to thrive? Crooked Thumb now offers virtual training sessions, in addition to at-home and in-studio classes.
Schedule a conversation about your health and fitness strategy today.